Top Menu

Convenience staff urged to use caution following attack

Staff member Zeeshan Akbar was stabbed and later died due to his injuries at at a Caltex in Queanbeyan last week.

A warning has been issued to all workers in the convenience industry following a murder at a Caltex in Queanbeyan last week.

Australasian Association of Convenience Stores (AACS) executive director Jeff Rogut issued a statement yesterday following the tragedy.

Rogut expressed his deepest sympathies to the man’s family and friends.

“No one should be attacked while doing their job,” he said.

“Everyone has the right to go home safely after a day or night’s work. Criminal actions against anyone and particularly in this case when it affects our industry is just unacceptable.

“We will watch the developments of this matter as the authorities piece the events together, but urge all who work in our industry to take extra care over the coming busy Easter period and to watch out for one another.”

Two teenagers have since been charged for the fatal attack of the Caltex service station attendant and ensuing crime rampage.

The 15- and 16-year-olds appeared in a Sydney court on Sunday charged with murder, robbery, wound with intent, carjacking and aggravated break and enter.

Court documents revealed that Zeeshan Akbar was murdered between 8pm and 11.59pm on 6 April last week.

Mr Akbar had moved to Canberra at the end of last year and was reportedly close to receiving permanent residency.

NSW Police Force Deputy Commissioner Catherine Burn said that there was some evidence that the crime spree could be related to terrorism or drugs.

“We have two teenagers in custody and sufficient information to believe the actions of one of those teenagers may be related to terrorism,” she said.

“All we know again is that there are very, very serious crimes and we’ve got all the resources that we can possibly put into this.”

The police are looking into a string of criminal activities that took place in the hours surrounding Mr Akbar’s murder.

A second stabbing victim was taken to Canberra hospital with non life-threatening injuries.

Monaro police Superintendent Rod Smith said that it was an absolutely horrific series of events to take place.

“We’d just like to reassure everybody that there are two people that we believe are involved, and both of those people are currently in custody,” he said.

“We received another report of another stabbing in Stornaway Road, Queanbeyan where a man was stabbed in the abdomen.

“He is currently in a serious but stable condition at the Canberra Hospital.”

Bail was formally denied for both offending youths as NSW police seek to extradite them from the ACT where they are currently being detained.

 

, , , , ,

, , , , ,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply